Prototype for the Next Baby Blanket

I’m itching to start knitting a new baby blanket. This may or may not have something to do with Camp NaNoWriMo taking precedence above all other creative endeavors this month.

When the crafting itch got bad a few days ago, I snuck out of Scrivener and opened a web browser. I looked around until I spied a neat pattern with alternating knit and purl sections resulting in an almost twill texture, and I thought, I can handle knitting and purling. But I want it to look even more like a twill weave than that.

So after some time in MS Paint and trying things out with the nearest needles and yarn to hand, I developed this pattern:

IMG_3488

 

Ta da! Twill weave texture.

Here’s how I did it. Well, actually, here’s a diagram of a slightly more developed version of the above.

Twill knit

Dark = knit; light = purl–on the front. (The reverse side is inverted, also backwards.)

Now imagine this repeated across a baby blanket in super soft, light green yarn!

Drool.

I’ve decided I can’t even pick out the yarn until after April, lest I irrevocably sabotage my word count. ‘Till then, I’m sticking to a strict diet of griffins and magic.

Happy Yarning!

Completed Stripes and Checkers Baby Blanket

Almost three months to the day since I started this project, it is finished!

IMG_3406

I’m quite pleased with it.

I based the checkerboard design off several blankets I saw online, but the stripes were my own invention. The alternating sections of knit and purl are 12 stitches wide by 16 rows tall, plus a border of garter stitch 7 rows tall on the top and bottom and 7 stitches wide on the sides. I used size 6 circular needles and medium weight acrylic yarn.

It ended up being 44 inches by 37 inches (.9m x 1.1m), big enough to warm my lap.

IMG_3433

I hope my friends’ baby girl will get some good use out of it.

Either way, I’d call my fourth knitting project a complete success.