I discovered something bizzare the other day. I was unraveling another failed attempt at a Tunisian crochet baby sock, when the whole thing suddenly turned into knit stockinette stitch.
It turns out when you pull one of the two strings necessary for Tunisian crochet in the round, it leaves you with a knitted cylinder!
Here’s what mean. Behold the sacrificial Tunisian crochet cylinder.
You pull the second strand, the one that’s been drawn through two loops over and over. And it leaves this.
I need to keep messing with this and find out how to use this trick. I’m thinking next time I want to knit a hat, I’ll crochet it!
Ta da! I’ve spent many, many hours on this garment, so I’m glad my husband likes it.
(He offered to model it properly, but first I snapped a few shots of him in his natural habitat.)
The tablet-woven trim is narrow (only 16 cards), but it does a lot to bring the tunic together.
I never feel “Waste not; want not” so keenly as when sewing with thread that I spun. When I sew with store-bought thread, I waste it all over the place. It’s cheap.
My linen thread has a cheap price tag, too. It comes with the fabric. But it costs time.
So I don’t waste an inch, because if I did I might be an inch short later and have to spin some more.
Handicrafts like this are humbling projects and give me great respect for my ancestors.
Here’s the tunic–only two more hems and the trimmings left!
My husband’s new linen tunic is mostly sewn! I’ve been sewing by hand and using “free” linen thread again, so I have to keep pausing to spin more whenever I run out.
The band for the collar, cuffs, and hem is coming along nicely after a big hiccup during warping. I’m more than halfway through, although I’ll probably need to warp up another shorter piece after this one.
On the writing side of things, I’ve got an idea for a new novel that’s very different from my usual fare, but I’m going to be good and stick with Featherfolk for now. Maybe I’ll go for it during NaNoWriMo or condense the idea into an entry for next year’s Mormon Lit Blitz. Or both!
It must be that time of year. I caught the weaving bug.
I’m planning out an Anglo-Saxon undertunic for my husband, and I decided it’s time to do this right. I’m going to tablet weave some simple trim for the hems.
I haven’t done any serious tablet weaving since college, so I needed to refresh my skills and reacquaint myself with the glorious freeware program called Guntram’s Tabletweaving Thingy.
I’ve given a plug for GTT before, but seriously, this Guntram guy is an angel. With GTT, I save so much time and yarn and frustration by trying out different threading patterns and colors and weaving sequences before I warp anything.
For example, the bands below are a few of the possible designs I could weave with the exact same threaded tablets.
I prototyped each one virtually so my husband could pick out his favorite. (In case you’re wondering, he chose the center one.)
Now I’m ready to warp up.
I’d finally finished my Hufflepuff scarf–even finished weaving in the dozens of loose ends–when I remembered the tassels. I still had to make fringe on either end.
In the past I’ve cut all the tassels first, attached them with a crocheting hook, and then trimmed them even. But I didn’t like all the fiddly bits of string.
Here’s the new method I (might have) invented.
You’ll need a darning needle, scissors, a straight object (like a knitting needle or ruler), and the yarn of your choice.
I finally evicted the assortment of too-small and too-holey t-shirts that have been living in my dresser. I hoped to make them useful as grocery bags. Three cuts and three seams per shirt was all it took. As a bonus, I get to sentimentally hang on to my college t-shirts a bit longer.
Here they are.
Here are the instructions I followed.
Today I used my new bags to get the groceries home, and they performed admirably.
Today marks five years since my husband and I were married and sealed together for time and all eternity.
A few weeks ago I decided to add some lettering to the filet crochet temple from a previous post and turn it into an anniversary present for my wonderful man.
I still need to finish the edging and blocking, but here’s the piece so far.
I can’t wait to hang it on the wall as a reminder that as long as we’re true to each other and to God, not even death can part us.
So I know I said I wouldn’t start any more crochet projects until I finished my Hufflepuff scarf. In my defense, the scarf is almost finished.
Here’s my newest project:
This is going to be a picture of the Provo Temple to hang on my wall.
Whenever I saw filet crochet in the past I assumed I didn’t have the patience for it. But I fell in love with a beautiful piece in Provo last month. I finally decided to give it a chance, and I’m surprised at how quickly it comes together.
Here’s the pattern I drew up.
I have crazy plans of piecing together different colored fabrics as a backing to look like sky and mountain behind the temple. We’ll see.
Anyway, my point is that filet crochet is actually kind of magical and not boring after all.
Here are a few pictures of the sideless surcoat I sewed for Baby.
The last stitches were done in the car on the way to my friends’ wedding. I finished the belt on the drive too. It’s a piece of an inkle band I wove about two years ago when I learned to inkle weave.
In other news, my story “Should Have Prayed For a Canoe” placed 3rd in the 2015 Mormon Lit Blitz! I’m very pleased and also surprised. I thought it a bit too silly to go far in the contest, but I suppose it hit readers’ funny bones just right.
“Faded Garden,” a poem by Emily Harris Adams, won first prize, and it was my favorite by far. You can read it here if you haven’t yet.